From: “Lynn Fisher” <email@example.com> To: “UIS United Faculty” <firstname.lastname@example.org> Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:19:02 AM Subject: UIS United Faculty / UPI 4100 update
Dear UIS United Faculty members and friends,
It’s been another busy and productive week for UIS United Faculty:
- Our intrepid bargaining research team is hard at work preparing contract proposals — the aim continues to be combining strengths of our personnel policy with issues raised in our faculty survey.
- We had a bargaining session on Friday, 2/19, where we presented new proposals and discussed counter-proposals presented by the administration in response to some of our earlier proposals. Both parties emphasized a desire to make rapid progress. We have another bargaining session on Friday, Feb. 26.
- You have probably heard that Governor Rauner quickly vetoed SB 2043, which would have funded MAP grants and community colleges. Our local, UPI 4100, is gearing up for a lobby day on Tuesday, March 1 to push for an override and talk about higher education funding. It’s short notice, but if any action will take place on SB 2043, it has to be quick. Legislators will be in session only March 1-3 before leaving Springfield until April 4. UPI 4100 members will come from across the state to hand deliver MAP postcards to legislators and share stories about the value of public higher education. If you are free either morning or afternoon on March 1, please join us! Contact Lynn or Kristi to get involved.
- We’re still looking for volunteers to serve on membership and communication committees — if you like to connect with colleagues, this is a great opportunity to get involved.
- Finally, we still have space for one or two to join our delegation at the up-coming House of Delegates meeting, March 4-5 in Chicago. Travel and housing expenses would be covered — a great way to learn more about your union. Time is short, so please let us know asap if you’re interested!
Watch this space for other opportunities to get involved, including up-coming informal meetings in colleges to share ideas and learn more about the bargaining process.
As always, please let us know if you have questions, concerns, or suggestions!
Lynn Fisher, Chapter President
Kristi Barnwell, Vice-President
UIS United Faculty, UPI 4100, IFT/AFT